Tips for donors

5 tips for donating plasma faster

Tips for donors

5 tips for donating plasma faster

November 13, 2023

Donating plasma is a fantastic way to help people who rely on plasma therapies, but the process can sometimes feel time-consuming for those who do it regularly. If you want to make your plasma donation more efficient and comfortable, follow these practical tips for donating plasma faster.

1. Stay hydrated

Although the donation process takes about 90 minutes, there is an easy way to speed up the process – HYDRATE!  If you are hydrated, your veins will be easier to find, and your blood will flow more easily. You may ask yourself, how much water should I drink before donating plasma? The American Red Cross suggests drinking an extra 16 ounces of water before and after your donation —even if you don’t feel thirsty. Ideally, you should start drinking one or two days before your plasma donation to prepare your body. You can also sip on water during your donation to keep your blood more fluid. Finally, remember to avoid caffeinated drinks and alcohol before your plasma donation because these beverages can lead to dehydration.

2. Eat well

Did you know you can get some water intake through your food? Although 80% of your daily water intake usually comes from beverages, the other 20% usually comes from foods. Here are some examples of foods that are high in water content:











Another tip for donating plasma faster is avoiding high-fat food. These foods slow down your digestion, make your blood ‘sludgier’ and, therefore, more difficult to separate. Sometimes, these foods can negatively influence your blood results and prevent you from donating altogether. Choose healthy alternatives like lean proteins, whole grains, and fruit and vegetables.  

3. Stay relaxed

Feeling physically comfortable while donating positively impacts how fast you donate. Choose loose and cozy clothes that you can easily remove, and with sleeves you can pull up and down. Staying warm during your plasma donation can also help you donate faster. When you feel warm, your blood vessels dilate and help the blood circulate more freely. Conversely, when you feel cold, your body shivers and tenses, constricting your veins and slowing your blood flow. Don’t hesitate to ask for a blanket if you feel cold during your plasma donation. To help you feel relaxed, consider listening to soothing music and taking slow and deep breaths during your donation.

4. Use a ball or squeezer

Using a ball squeezer, sponge ball, or stress ball can help speed up your plasma donation process by 15% to 20% on average. This technique significantly increases the blood flow that feeds into the donation needle. To achieve the best results, squeeze your ball every 5 to 10 seconds and try to synch the movement to your breathing. Even though it may seem complicated initially, veteran plasma donors easily use the rhythmic squeezing technique while reading or doing other simple activities.

5. Use KEDExpress (saves 10 minutes)

Save around 10 minutes of your total donation time and get priority access by completing your donor questionnaire directly from home. Questionnaires are valid only the day they are completed. New donors or donors that haven’t donated in 180 days must complete their history questionnaire at their KEDPLASMA donation center.


Complete questionnaire(s) the day of your donation in a private setting without assistance (go to the questionnaire)


Receive a QR code to scan at your donation center

Donating plasma is a generous act that can profoundly impact the lives of those in need. By following these tips, including staying well-hydrated, you can make your plasma donation faster and more comfortable.


Do you still have doubts about plasma donation? Our FAQs section will hopefully clear them up. Remember that our medical team and staff is always there to answer all your questions in person.